Workshops, Clinics and Rehearsals
Rhythm Section Performance Workshop Series
(How to work with a LIVE band!) Our most popular workshop!
How do I learn the same “language” as the musicians. What order are the solos? How do I count-off the entire band? Where do I look? Who’s in charge? How can I truly make music with a whole Quartet? Singing with a jazz band can be thrilling, but it’s daunting too. If these questions resonate with you, come to our rythmn section workshop and get ready to move to the next level.
This workshop is a rare opportunity for singers to work with one of the top rhythm sections in the Northwest jazz scene. Each series includes 3, half-hour sessions with piano or guitar, bass, drums and sax and myself as your personal coach. The students will work up 4 songs for the performance. We work on communication with the instrumentalists, song form, solos, arrangements, mic technique and stage presence. Each 3 week session ends with a performance at local Jazz club/venue. You are encouraged to invite your friends and family to see YOU! $340
*Want to have some rehearsal time with a great band, but not interested in performing yet? You can reserve some time with us during ANY of these dates below. please inquire 🙂
April Workshop w/piano, bass, drums plus saxophone
Rehearsals 45 min each 4/9 and 4/23. Show at North City Bistro 4/27
June Workshop w/ w/piano, bass, drums plus saxophone
Rehearsals 6/4, 6/11, 6/18 30 min each. Show at North City Bistro 6/29th
Summer Workshop with consecutive rehearsal dates for out of town students w/piano, bass, drums plus saxophone
Rehearsals 22nd and 23rd, 45 min each. Show at North City Bistro 8/24th
September Workshop w/guitar, bass and drums plus saxophone
Rehearsals 9/16, 9/17, 45 min each Show at North City Bistro 9/21
October workshop w/piano, bass, drums plus saxophone
Rehearsals 10/1 and 10/15, 45 min each and Show at North City Bistro 10/19th
November workshop w/guitar, bass and drums plus saxophone
Rehearsals 11/5, 11/12. Show at North City Bistro 11/16
December Holiday Workshop w/piano, bass, drums plus saxophone
Rehearsals 11/26, 12/10 45 min each. Show at North City Bistro 12/14
Singer Soiree Sessions
*A great way to get over stage fright issues!
Nov 6th 5-7pm
Jan 1st 5-7pm
Feb 5th 5-7pm
Feb 19th 5-7pm
April 16th 5-7pm
April 30th 5-7pm
May 7th 5-7pm
(If you don’t live in the Seattle area, contact me and we can arrange the studio session when you can make a trip here!)
Interested in knowing more about how professional singers record?
VOCALIST RECORDING WORKSHOP
Record your vocals at David Lange Recording Studio with Greta Matassa as your producer!
WHAT YOU WILL GET:
- One jazz song of your choice prepared and track recorded in advance by Brian Monroney guitar and Clipper Anderson bass.
- You will then coordinate with Greta and the studio to have an hour of recording experience at the studio in Fife Wa.
- (Dates will be booked working around YOUR availability.)
- One singer in the studio with Greta and David (studio engineer) at a time for safety.
- David Lange studio is where I have recorded 9 CD’S! They do wonderful work!
- Greta’s experience and tips on what to be prepared for, and how to bring your best performance, quickly and efficiently into the studio are invaluable!
- The issues covered in this workshop will ultimately save you time, money and much stress when you do, at some point, start your own studio project.
- “After many years of working as a pro session singer and with 10 CD’S under my belt, I learned a lot about the studio experience and created this workshop to cover many of the things you DON’T want to find out you don’t know when YOU are paying for studio time!!”
- You will have an hour in the studio with Greta as your producer:
- Understanding how studio multi-tracking works: basic tracks, over dubbing, scratch vocals, punching in, auto-tune and protools options to correct little timing errors.
- How to finesse matching your own sound when punching in a correction.
- Getting a good headphone mix and how to ask for what you need. (You will sing best when you like what you hear!)
- Getting used to singing with headphones on at ALL!
- Getting used to singing w/out holding a mic.
- How to sing with dynamics in a studio situation.
- How to be your own “producer” and have a clear vision of what your expectations are.
- Understanding how editing the “best of “ several takes works.
- The value of having another “set of ears” to advise when you can no longer “hear” what’s a good take anymore! This can be an invaluable help when trying to decide whether a “take” is good and move on etc.
**NOTE : Price does not include final edited, tuned and mixed song, but this can be arranged with the studio at $40/hour rate.
**Note: the final product will be yours to use for demo, social media and websites. Not for commercial sale